Saturday, September 1

Letting Go

Today my loving husband told me I'm somewhat of a control freak.
OK, I get it, I like to know what's going on, to plan in advance, not to be surprised. I like it when things go as planed, work smoothly and come out as expected.
I think perfectionist goes right in there as well.
What he told me did not in any way come as a surprise. I guess I expected him to say I was getting better at not trying so hard. I just can't help it.
Pinterest is great for a lot of things. I think that had it not been for that site, I would have just kept drooling over gorgeous quilt patterns and jelly rolls/charm packs/fat quarters. Pinterest got me going, sent me to work, seeing other peoples projects made me believe that- yes I can!
Last weekend I began my very first quilt (beginners pattern- zig-zag). I bought a super pretty charm pack (Hello Luscious, Moda) and a solid pack to go with it. Because no matter how much I try, I cannot for the life of me cut a straight line.
And I have the most awful time deciding which colors go with which. Most of my time wasn't spent on actual sewing (or ironing those damn seams) but figuring out which pattern should go next to what, how the colors should line up, stressing over tips of triangles not quite matching, and being cut off.
Yes, I am a control freak. I get it.
But I take this as a lesson, and a start at letting go. Quilts, patchwork are known for their "mismatch" and I'm told that's what makes them so beautiful.
I'm still obsessing over the solid modern quilts, but for now am going to try to live on the wild side, different patterns and colors. That does NOT mean I'm not going to get a bunch of fat quarters, I'm not quite there yet. I've been eyeing the Oh Deer and Birds and Berries (both Moda) lately, now just to find a pattern.
I finished the top of the quilt today. I'd say I'm half way there. I need to buy some filling and plain white backing, and decide what pattern I want for the binding. Another hard part. What goes best?!

Check out my Quilt Love board on Pinterest , some of those quilts are now officially on my to-do list. And now that I know I can, I just need to find the time :)

Happy Labor Day weekend everyone!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...