Thursday, January 24

What do we have in our pockets


This made my day better.

Directed by Goran Dukic

Etgar Keret is only one of my all time favorite authors.
I found out about him in high school, when a friend of mine told me I should come to one of his readings. I couldn't make it, but he lent me the book. I don't remember if I ever gave it back, all I know is that I have two copies... I read them both.
I got pathetic around grade 12, when I started carrying his books around everywhere in hopes I would meet him and he could sign a copy.
It never happened.
I used to be such a junkie. But seriously, his books got me through some tough times. I have so many favorite stories. I think those stories made me want to learn movie directing. My dream was to direct a short film based on one of his stories.
Imagine my happiness when I found out someone had already done that...


The story about the angel is one of my all time favorites, and it was exactly as I imagined in the movie. The story, "The Angel", is taken from his book "The bus driver who wanted to be God". 
I did however meet him years later while watching the movie Jellyfish, and he had a Q&A afterwards. He was as cool as I always expected him to be.


The movie is lovely and melancholic, about loneliness and the happiness that can be found buried underneath it all. It's painfully sad at times, and the acting is wonderful.
The movie was directed by him and his wife, Shira Geffen. She writes darling childrens books these days. When I have a little one I will most definitely read them one. Or two...




Goran Dukic also directed the movie "Wrstcutters" which is based on the slightly longer novel "Knellers Happy Campers". This story is a bit more... on the darkish side. It's definitly less funny than the rest of the stories, but the feeling are so real. There are so much you can relate to, sentences that seem like they were made for me, sentences I wish I had said first. A must read.


Now, back to business... 
I had a pretty great day until this evening. Things just got bad. Looking through our news site I came across a new short film based on a story by Etgar Keret. The film will be debuting at the 2013 Sundance Film Festival. 
I like this one a lot because I too, have a lot in my pockets. And bag. I have a lot of  important stuff in my bag. I can relate. 
What's in your pockets?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...